Friday, August 28, 2009

Emergency Room Visit

A cautionary note: for those with a weak stomach, you may want to skip this one.

It started out as such an ordinary day. But, after William woke up from his nap in the afternoon, he didn't want a snack. This was the first sign that there was a problem because he never turns down a snack. He ended up eating a little apple, but appeared lethargic. After an hour or two, he was getting fussy and didn't want to play. I was straightening up a little bit when he started yelling "mama." When I saw him, he had thrown up and it was all over him. He was scared. He drank some juice and then about 15 minutes later, that came up. Michael came home and William continued to throw up multiple times and refused to eat or drink anything. He was starting to look pale and did not look well.

After a couple of hours of consistently being sick, I am getting worried. (Did I mention that now it's only an hour away from Sarah Kate's open house for Pre-Kindergarten and she is all dressed up and ready to go?) So, after packing a few toy cars, a book, and an extra change of clothing for William and Michael, Sarah Kate and I follow Michael and William to urgent care just a couple of miles down the road.

Sarah Kate and I go to the preschool open house (which is about 5 minutes away) while Michael waits with William. When we come back, the doctor has determined he does not have the flu, but he needs to go to the emergency room because of his age and the fact that he is continuing to throw up everywhere. Michael's t-shirt is soaked with throw up and I am the next victim as I unsuccessfully try to use the pan they gave us at urgent care when William gets sick in the car.

Upon our arrival at the emergency room (about 8:45pm), we meet the nice cleaning lady who told us how cute William was. It was a good thing that we made her acquaintance as we needed her assistance about 5 minutes later when he threw up in the emergency room. She was very kind as she cleaned it up, and as she started back down the hall she was quickly summoned again as William had projectile vomit that landed all over Michael and I. After seeing the doctor, they wanted to see how William tolerated a little bit of juice. As you can guess by now, that did not go well.

At this point, Michael is holding William and I look at him and ask Michael if he is ok. He says "yes" and I look at his shirt and pants that are soaking wet and his leg that has something that is dried and purple running down it (which I assume to be a popsicle that we tried earlier with William). I tell him that I'm referring to his clothing and the the throw up all over him (Michael used his extra shirt I brought him to clean off William). He appears oblivious and said he doesn't even realize how dirty he is and he doesn't care. At the moment, I was reminded that he is the absolute best dad in the whole world and I am so lucky to have him in my life.

William is given I.V. medications, to which he doesn't even put up a fight because he is so exhausted, and within 10 minutes he appears so much better. By the time we get home, it's a little after 12:00am and we all quickly get to sleep.

Now, it's time for round 2 this morning as Sarah Kate has been sick on her stomach!

1 comment:

ouida said...

That is so scary! I hope everyone feels better soon. keep us posted. now I will be all worried if I don't hear!